“Why Plant Churches”
In his article “Why Plant Churches” Timothy Keller writes,
The vigorous, continual planting of new congregations is the single most crucial strategy for 1) the numerical growth of the Body of Christ in any city, and 2) the continual corporate renewal and revival of the existing churches in a city. Nothing else--not crusades, outreach programs, para-church ministries, growing mega-churches, congregational consulting, nor church renewal processes--will have the consistent impact of dynamic, extensive church planting. This is an eyebrow raising statement. But to those who have done any study at all, it is not even controversial.
We have found this to be experientially true at Cornerstone. Under the LORD Jesus, Cornerstone is preparing to plant a 5th congregation @ the Connection @ Rhodes in April 2018. Although there is always grief and hard work to begin with, the LORD has been faithful to his people and to the spreading of the gospel.
"What sort of Church"
IN HIS BOOK “BUILDING A DISCIPLING CULTURE,” MIKE BREEN WRITES,
Effective discipleship builds the church, not the other way around. We need to understand the church as the effect of discipleship and not the cause. If you set out to build the church, there is no guarantee you will make disciples. It is far more likely that you will create consumers who depend on the spiritual services that religious professionals provide …The thing is, we don’t have a missional problem in the Western church. We have a discipleship problem”
Breen, Mike. Building a Discipling Culture: Third Edition (Kindle Locations 132-137). 3DM Publishing. Kindle Edition.
What sort of church do we envisage at Rhodes?
As stated above, the ‘church’ is the end result of discipleship so that in turn the church does discipleship. If we start with ‘church’ and hope that people from other churches will join us (transfer growth), we may end up with people ‘shopping’ for churches. If however, we envisage that Rhodes will be a church of new converts who are discipled, then the church will grow through conversion and discipleship and not solely through transfer.
What sort of church do we envisage at Rhodes:
A church that take discipleship serious and seek to develop a culture of discipleship.
The vision is:
“Reach out, make disciples and build a biblical community to the glory of God”
For the latest update see the Blog post here
Mission to Rhodes
- Begins Thursday 15th February @ 7pm
- A passionate group seeking to share the gospel with Rhodes; to disciple and be discipled
Core Group Meetings
- Begins on Sunday 18th February @ The Ministry Centre @ 4.30pm
- A diligent group seeking to pray, prepare and establish a church gathering
- Begin 15th April @ 9am
- A regular and faithful gathering of people to “Reach out, make disciples and build a biblical community to the glory of God”
Check your heart: Are we utterly dependance upon God?
- Colossians 1:18 (NIV84)
- 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy.
- 1 Corinthians 3:6 (NIV84)
- 6 I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow.
- Matthew 9:38 (NIV84)
- 38 Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.”
Questions to ask and pray about
- Have I counted the cost to follow Jesus by considering leaving to start a new work?
- Is my heart willing to pay that cost?
- Am I dedicated to this new work?
- Am I growing in passion for the lost?
- Is the LORD gifting me for this role?
- Am I excited to see the gospel of our LORD Jesus proclaimed in Rhodes?
- That we would have two dedicated Elders
- That two older couples would come across to be 'mentors'
- To have a core group of 50+
Contact Steven Soldatos for more information at: